Search Tyres by Vehicle Registration

Search by Tyre size

Are you looking for Tyre Labelling for your vehicle?

Anyone who wants to buy car tyres is faced with a huge choice. An EU label should help to find the right tyre.

Here on this page, our The Tyre Dealer Colchester team would like to tell you a bit more about this tyre label.

The sticker provides information on fuel efficiency, wet grip and rolling noise.

The EU tyre label, which is affixed to every new tyre, helps decide on a model. Its shape and design are reminiscent of the energy label on household appliances. However, the tyre label is based on criteria that are specifically tailored to car tyres.

What does fuel efficiency mean?

The higher the rolling resistance of a tyre, the higher the car's fuel consumption. Therefore, fuel-efficient tyres need a low rolling resistance because it is responsible for about 25 per cent of a car's fuel consumption. Background: The tyre deforms when rolling and gets warm. Fuel efficiency also depends on the tyre's width, the air pressure and the tread. Tyre manufacturers aim to find a successful compromise between low rolling resistance, driving comfort and good grip on the road.

Categories from A to G

The EU label rates fuel efficiency in six categories from A to C and E to G; D is not awarded. There is a difference of about 7.5 per cent fuel consumption between A and G. With an average consumption of seven litres per 60 miles, this corresponds to about half a litre of fuel. Most modern tyres are in the B and C classes.

What does wet grip stand for?

Wet grip is about the braking distance of a car on a wet road. The benchmark for the evaluation is full braking at a speed of 50 mph. A vehicle with tyres in the best category A must stop after 28 metres at the latest; in the worst category F, it is about 46 metres. With each category, the braking distance increases by about three metres.

What is the rolling noise?

The third category, external rolling noise, describes the noise made by the tyres of a car passing by at 80 km/h (50 mph). The label indicates the noise level in kilometres. The title states the volume in decibels (dB). A loudspeaker symbol with up to three black sound waves additionally classifies the value: the more sound waves, the louder the noise.

Are all tyres assessed according to the EU label?

The label applies to all passenger car tyres and tyres for light and heavy commercial vehicles. Exceptions apply to re-treaded tyres and off-road tyres. Motorbike tyres also do not carry an EU label. In addition to the label, tests by car magazines and automobile clubs offer support in searching for suitable tyres.

New label since May 2021

On 1 May 2021, the previous EU label was replaced by a new sticker that also applies to bus and truck tyres. It indicates the rolling noise in one of the categories from A to C in addition to the dB value. For fuel consumption and wet grip, there are now only five categories from A to E. Tyres that have already been delivered to the dealer may continue to be sold with the previous label.

We hope you have found this information page useful.

If you have any additional questions, please get in touch with us.

Everybody at The Tyre Dealer Colchester is always happy to help.

whatsapp chat
Chat with us